I bet a healthy treat, low in calories and full of antioxidants and nutrients is not the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of “pizza”. So think again, because here we are: this super satisfying pizza comes along with a delicate zucchini-chickpea crust and ist topped with a silken tofu-nut cream and garnished with healthy greens, sprouts, bell pepper and creamy avocado slices. This pizza tastes amazing and is so rich, that one pizza normally is enough for two persons. You can vary the pizza topping according to your taste, e.g. with sautéd mushrooms, tomatoes and all kinds of fresh veggies and herbs. So indulge yourself in all the pizza goodness and enjoy a happy meal, all the best yours Lea.
Ingredients for one pizza (serves 2)
For the pizza crust
- 35 g (1/4 cup) ground flax seed
- 450 g (15.8 oz) zucchini + ca. 60g (2 oz) zucchini slices for garnish/for the topping
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 100 g (1 cup + 1 tbsp) chickpea flour
- 1 TL baking soda or baking powder
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
For sauce & topping
- 1 garlic glove
- 180 g (6.3 oz) silken tofu
- 2 tbsp cashew butter or almond butter (50-60g/ 1.7 oz)
- 1 tsp spicy mustard
- 3 tbsp yeast flakes
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 1 tbsp herbes of Provence
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Some colorful bell pepper slices for garnish
- A handful baby spinach for garnish
- Sprouts to your liking
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- Optional: 40 g (1.4 oz) mais (Dosenware)
- Optional: Avocado for garnish
- Optional: Some fresh basil leaves
Instructions (30 minutes preparation + 25 minutes baking time)
- Mix ground flax seed with 5 tbsp water and let it soak for some minutes.
- Wash and grate the zucchini, mix it with a pinch of salt and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Drain the leaking water from the grated zucchini, put it in a kitchen towel and wring-out further liquid.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C (392°F) circulating heat.
- Mix grated zucchini, the soaked flax seeds, chickpea flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1-2 tsp lemon juice and a pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Form a dough with your hands by kneading the ingredients. Put the dough on a baking tray covered with baking paper. Form a flat pizza crust with your hands and the help of a second baking paper and a rollin pin.
- Bake pizza crust (in a first round without the topping) for 12-14 minutes at 200 °C (392°F) circulation heat.
- Meanwhile prepare the sauce for the pizza topping. Peel a small garlic clove and mix it with the silken tofu, the nut butter, 1 tsp spicy mustard, 3 tbsp yeast flakes, a pinch of salt and pepper, herbes de Provence and 1 tbsp of lemon juice in a blender. Blend to a smooth, creamy sauce and season with salt to your taste.
- After 12-14 minutes baking time, remove the pizza crust from the oven, spread the sauce over the crust and top with some zucchini and bell pepper slices.
- Now continue baking the pizza with topping at the same heat for another 10-12 minutes.
- Now you can finalize to garnish of the pizza Pizza with mais, baby spinach, sprouts, pumpkin seeds and fresh basil to your liking. I also add some delicious avocado slices. Drizzle the pizza with some lemon juice and enjoy.