Are you an asparagus fan? I definitely am and each year, I can’t wait till the first fresh asparagus is delivered from the fields around Berlin. As the Brandenburg region around the capital has heavy, sandy soil it is an ideal asparagus cultivation area. So, we are really blessed to get the most delicious asparagus starks directly from the fields. This quick & easy asparagus recipe is a German classic and a real winner. You can prepare it with white or green asparagus. Enjoy!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 850 g (30 oz) white asparagus (about 4-5 stalks per person)
- 1 tbsp cane sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- sea salt
- 500 g (18 oz) (waxy) potatoes
- 1,5 tbsp olive (or another vegetable oil)
- 1 tsp paprika powder (or harissa)
- 1 small tsp cumin
- 1 tsp herbs of Provence
- 2-3 tbsp breadcrumbs (for the potatoes) + 60 g (2/3 cup) breadcrumbs for the asparagus
- 1 lemon
- 30 g margarine for toasting the breadcrumbs + 25 g margarine for drizzling the asparagus
- some parsley for garnish
Instructions (20 minutes preparation + 25 minutes baking time)
Tip: Start the recipe by preparing the potatoes as you can keep them warm in the oven till you serve them while asparagus should always be served right after cooking.
- Preheat oven to 220° Celsius (430°F). Wash the potatoes and cut them unpeeled into cubes. Mix the potato cubes with 1.5 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp paprika powder, 1 small tsp cumin, a dash of salt and a tsp herbes of Provence. Next add 2-3 tbsp of breadcrumbs.
- Put the potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for about 25 minutes at 430°F till golden brown and crispy. Turn them half way. In addition, I slice a lemon and roast the lemon slices alongside the potatoes on the same baking sheet.
- Meanwhile bring a big pan of water to a boil. Add 1 tbsp cane sugar, a dash of salt and 1 tsp of lemon juice.
- Peel the asparagus and cut the hard ends.
- As soon as the water boils, add asparagus and let the stalks cook for about 12-15 minutes 8up to the thickness of the stalks). The asparagus should be supple, but not slushy.
- Melt 30 g of margarine in a pan. Add 2/3 cups breadcrumbs and roast the golden brown. Lightly season the roasted breadcrumbs with salt.
- Melt 25 g additional margarine in a pan. Wash and chop some parsley.
- Place the cooked asparagus on two plates, add potatoes and roasted lemon slices. Coat asparagus with breadcrums, drizzle with melted margerine and garnish with parsley. Enjoy!